Sunday, October 30, 2011

Playlist: Murder Camp Horror Weekend

Halloween is this weekend, so now is the perfect time to post my horror music play list. I got the idea to do this when Shangri-La by YACHT was released earlier this year. It struck me how much the music seemed like science fiction. Then I began to think about how genres in music relate to genres in film. Certainly a rock album is analogous to an action flick. You could perhaps liken a hip hop release to some kind of gangster type film. If Shangri-La is like a sci fi movie, where else can one take this idea? There isn't really any kind of neat and simple basis for comparing music to the horror movie genre- but hell, it's worth a shot. While doing this, I didn't want to take the obvious route and going with just loud, visceral, angry music- though there is some of that here. Instead regardless of volume and output, I wanted music that invoked senses of dread, anxiety, nervousness, and terror. Yes, I opened and closed with Crystal Castles- stuff creeps me out. play list is below with track listings underneath.



1. Crystal Castles- Fainting Spells
2. Radiohead- 2+2=5
3. Grizzly Bear- Dory
4. The Knife- The Captain
5. Bjork- Hunter
6. Justice- Stress
7. Boards of Canada- Music is Math
8. Emily Haines- Doctor Blind
9. The Rapture- Olio
10. The National- Afraid of Everyone
11. The Organ- Steven Smith
12. Arcade Fire- My Body is a Cage
13. The Mars Volta- Interstatic esp
14. Boards of Canada- The Beach at Redpoint
15. Crystal Castles- I am Made of Chalk

No comments:

Post a Comment