Saturday, July 16, 2011

Song of the Week: "Plaything" by Wild Beasts

This uncharacteristically lousy Vancouver weather- did i say uncharacteristic? I meant so goddamn common and frustrating these days I wanna start burning leaves without a permit just to spite that cold bitch mother nature- has put me in a somber mood. My recent summer mix tape seems out of place considering the down pour outside. So I find myself turning to Wild Beasts; Smother, their new album dropped about a month ago, but I afforded it only the briefest attention, as the more sedate and down beat offering from the group didn't seem like appropriate summer listening, but it certainly fits the bill now. Upon further review of Smother, "Plaything" instantly struck me as a standout track. Something about the eerie key boards and slightly bizarre and varied percussion gives me some serious Mike Oldfield vibes. In other words, I highly recommend it. Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment